Wednesday, October 29, 2008

It's Caramel Apple Time!

Caramel apples are one of our favorite fall traditions. There is something so right about the taste of sweet juicy apples together with caramel! I did a little research this year, to see if I could have better luck keeping my caramel on my apple. This is what you are supposed to do -
  • scrub apples with soap and rinse thoroughly (this is to get the waxy coating off and help the caramel to adhere better)
  • make sure apples are completely dry
  • after coating apples, hold them upside down, then right side up, then upside down, etc. until caramel starts to set
  • sit apples on buttered wax paper
  • put finished apples immediately in the fridge

Okay, I did all of this! I spent several minutes babying each apple, turning it up and down and keeping lots of caramel on each one. After I finished each one, I put it right in the fridge...

The caramel still ran off! ;-)

Oh well! :-) That sure doesn't stop them from tasting wonderfully!

8 comments:

Lora @ my blessed life said...

These look so yummy! I think making these was sort of a tradition in my husband's family. I should try carrying it on with our children, too. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Those popcorn balls look really good, too!

Anonymous said...

I never got to thank you for coordinating us Sunshine Walkers. It was great to be accountable. I did have to stop because our home construction began, (new kitchen and other projects :-) YES! The workers showed up at 8:00a.m. every morning so it threw me off my game. You are so sweet to have made it a secret contest. Congratulations on all the miles that you walked. Hopefully it has now become part of your routine. I hope to get the routine for myself too. Your recipes look so delicious that I have no choice to walk if I want to partake in them!! Yum! Thanks again!

Heather said...

oh my goodness! i have to hold myself back from licking the computer screen, LOL. i better get some dinner quick before i actually DO lick the computer screen!

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Looks good! I just made some tonight too ~ my third batch this season. And too keep the carmel from running off, I simply let it cool in pot just a little bit before I dipped the apples and then I put each one in the refrigerator right away.

Of course, I think it depends on the type of caramel you use too. But I'm with you ~ whether the caramel is on or off ~ they are still yummy!

Blessings,
Lea

Lady Farmer said...

OK I am making some tomorrow! I have the carmel and apples on the tree. And I haven't made popcorn balls in ever so long. I will have to give your recipe a try. Thanks for all the good ideas.
LF

Hendrick Family said...

I know! I can't ever keep the caramel on mine either.

I gave up a couple years ago, and now what I do instead is slice the apples. Then, I melt the caramel on the stove. Then, our family takes the apple slices and dips them individually into the caramel. We also put a bowl of pecan pieces and toffee pieces on the table too. We take our apple dipped in caramel and then dip those into the pecan and toffee pieces. Yum!

It can get messy with little boys, but it's one of our favorite things about the fall!

Heather

Mrs. H. said...

Your welcome Christa! :-)

Heather - your caramel apple dip sounds great! :-)

Kerri said...

Believe it or not I have never made these. :) They look wonderful.
Love Kerri