Friday, October 3, 2008

Welcome to the World Dinner!

Taking a meal to a family with a new baby is a wonderful way to help them out. Not to mention the fact that it is also a great way to make sure you get an early peek at the little one! ;-)

I found the idea for a "Welcome to the World Dinner" in Taste of Home magazine several years ago. I have used this many times, varying the menu items, but always naming each food to correspond to the "baby" theme. :-)

Taste of Home suggests "Green Bean Bundles of Joy" as one of the foods to prepare. When time is short, I sometimes substitute my own, "Tiny Tot Tossed Salad". ;-)

Taste of Home's "Special Delivery Chicken Casserole" is simply Poppy Seed Chicken, with a new name!

"Bringing Home Baby Carrots" is another menu item from Taste of Home. The carrots are cooked in apple juice and honey to make them very sweet and tender.

"Rock a 'Bye Baby Rolls" are my addition.

"2 AM Feeding Snack" is also a Taste of Home suggestion. This time the snacks are my oatmeal cookies, which I happen to know a certain brand new big brother enjoys. :-)

And, don't forget those older brothers and sisters, especially the littlest one that until just a few days ago was the baby! It's always nice to greet them first, take them a little special treat and then ask to see "their" new baby! :-)


Here is the food all ready to go! A collapsible crate is wonderful for transporting the meal. With this menu in hand you are always ready to welcome a precious new baby into the world! :-)

7 comments:

Dana said...

How creative! What a nice thing to do for someone. I wish I knew someone having a baby:) I made your beef stew this evening, it turned out great. I will put that in my recipe box. Tomorrow I'm making your chicken spahgetti. Wish me luck!

Lora @ my blessed life said...

I totally remember that particular Taste of Home meal and have made that poppy seed chicken recipe. Looks like you welcomed the family back home very well!

Jennifer said...

What a wonderful idea...I will have a delivery to make in just a couple weeks!! This will be fun...

MamaHen said...

One of my favorite things to do is make a meal for new parents. It was such a blessing to me when I had my babies to get meals and I love to do it for others. Your recipes look delicious and I am going to try the poppyseed chicken casserole.

kristi said...

where did you find the collapsible crate? that's a good mode of transportation for all the goods...how thoughtful. i'm sure this family felt very blessed to get this meal!

miranda said...

Love your blog! What a great idea- Perfect timing, too, as I have a few friends who are days away from having their babies. Thank you for posting excellent corresponding pictures. Everything looks yummy. :) I am also wondering where you found the collapsible crate- that is super cool!

Mrs. H. said...

My mother got me this crate from Lowes. I also have some from Wal-Mart - they're not quite as sturdy, but still very handy. I use them all the time!