Monday, January 11, 2010

You can't catch me...


I'm the gingerbread man!

Gingerbread Cookies
2 1/2 dozen

3 cups flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 egg

Mix flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and salt. Beat butter and brown sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add molasses and egg; beat well. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until well mixed. Press dough into a thick flat disk. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.


Preheat oven to 350°F. Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness on lightly floured work surface. Cut into gingerbread men shapes. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets.

Bake 10 minutes or until edges of cookies are set and just begin to brown. Cool on baking sheets 1 to 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.

Decorate cooled cookies as desired.

Store cookies in airtight container up to 5 days.


I used the McCormick recipe. It's a good one! :-)

6 comments:

Sandra said...

Those are SO cute. I've never made real gingerbread men. We do cut the shapes out and just make men cookies.

Lara said...

Oh my, yours are so cute! They really do look and remind me of the GB baby in the children's book. You are an amazing photographer.
~Lara

Patty said...

I just found your site from visiting Julie from "Life in Skunk Hollow". The gingerbread men are so cute. Have a great day.

Lara said...

P.S.
Mrs. H, I just wanted to tell you that I made your Skillet Chicken Paramesan for my family this week and they thought it was delicious! Another thing, I had your blog open on my computer screen (I was getting ready to write down the Kung Pao Chicken, our printer is out of ink) and my 4 year old son said "I like that girl in the hat, I like her picture." I thought it was so cute, LOL! :o) Have a nice weekend!
~Lara

Mrs. H. said...

Thanks y'all!

Lara, please tell your son that Mrs. H. says, "Hi!" Love that story - thank you so much for telling me. Pre-schoolers are my favorite age!

Erin said...

I used to make gingerbread men every single year when my boys were little. They used to love it so much, of course they got tired after the second batch and I felt like I was baking gingerbread men all night :0). I haven't made them for years but after seeing this I really want to make some, I LOVE gingerbread.