Saturday, April 23, 2011

I think I know why they're called "deviled" eggs...



And, I think someone that had to peel farm fresh eggs to make them
was the one that named them that.

Oh, fresh eggs are SO hard  to peel!!
I have tried all the "tricks" and still I can't be successful.
I can peel a grocery store egg like nobody's business,
but a fresh egg?  
Even my oldest fresh eggs are still too fresh. ;-)

I hard boiled a dozen eggs today to make deviled eggs
and I had one, ONE, decent looking one when I was done.

No deviled eggs tomorrow,
but a lot of egg salad sandwiches this week! :-)

5 comments:

Miss Paige said...

You're right! This made me laugh. I have the same trials with our "homegrown" eggs. I have wondered whether experimenting with the cooking method might be worth it. (I normally start them in cold water, turn the heat up to bring it to a boil, then reduce to medium and time 15 minutes.) Sometimes, I do have rather better success, if I peel the cooled eggs under cold running water.

Kerri said...

I was told that I do not have to refrigerate my eggs once I collect them. However, if I do put them in the fridge after collecting them then they need to be kept in there all the time. So I collect mine put them in cartons and leave them in a cool dry place. I never have put mine in the fridge. I'm not sure if this makes a difference. Week old eggs slip right out of their shells.

Mrs. H. said...

I boil them the same way Paige and add salt to the water. I'm starting to think maybe I'm just not patient enough!

Kerri I might try that next time!

Nancy said...

I just discovered your blog from a friend. Oh the trials of peeling fresh eggs! I have tried many different methods. I have started leaving my eggs that I want to boil out for 4-5 days before cooking them. So far, so good. ;)

Carmi Quillts said...

I found this on the Chickens in the Road blog. I have tried it twice and it's easy peasy. I have chickens and fresh eggs and couldn't ever peal an egg without taking half the white. Try this http://chickensintheroad.com/farm-bell-recipes/perfect-hard-boiled-eggs/. You may have to sign up for this but she has quite a growing list of recipes, some she's submitted and lots from others. Great sourse of recipes.