Wednesday, September 7, 2011

"What's in the cookie jar??" Wednesday


Milk's Favorite Cookie! :-)


It's that time of year again!
 Time to keep the cookie jar filled.

Filled with sweet treats 
for after school snacks and school lunch boxes.


 I'd like to get some more cookies in my repertoire this fall.
Maybe try out a new cookie recipe every other week or so?


My first endeavorer -


Very yummy!
The filling tastes JUST like the filling in a real Oreo Cookie. :-)


The recipe comes from Smitten Kitchen.


Don't these look like they are just begging
to be dunked in a glass of cold milk?? :-)


Homemade Oreos
makes 30 cookies

for cookies -
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1 large egg

for filling-
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup shortening
2 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla

Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Add butter and mix until combined. Add egg and mix until dough forms. Form dough into small balls, place on parchment lined cookie sheet and flatten slightly with fingers.  Bake at 375 for 9 minutes.  Let cool 3 minutes on cookie sheets and then remove to racks to cool completely.

Combine butter and shortening in mixer until creamy.  Gradually beat in sugar and vanilla until combined.  Turn mixer to high and continue to beat 2 or 3 until fluffy.  Fill a freezer baggie with filling and snip off the end.  Pipe the filling onto half the cookies.  Place the other cookies on top and press lightly.  Pour some milk and enjoy!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum!!! Thanks for reminding me about Smitten Kitchen too - somehow I stopped following them.

Kim said...

These look so great!! Thank you for all of your great recipes :) I tried your Frito Salad and it was a hit at our home! I try to include some recipes on my blog as part of Food on Friday so I may need to link to your Frito Salad if I ever get time to update my blog! :) Thanks again!