Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Asian Chicken and Orzo Salad

This recipe is from Paul Deen.
It's quite different and very good.  I actually don't think I've ever made a cold, asian pasta dish so it was a nice change of pace.  I am glad that I switched it to lunch for today instead of last night's supper. It's  more of a lunch type salad than a main dish. :-)


The toasted almond slivers are definitely the star of the salad.
Instead of toasting them in the oven, I browned them in sesame oil on the stove.


Then I used the same pan to cook the chicken and added some sesame seeds.


I used frozen Chinese veggies - sugar snap peas, onions, red and green bell pepper.


I mixed up the sauce, added the cooked orzo and water chestnuts 
and tossed in the almonds, vegetables, and chicken.


It's best after being chilled awhile.  So it's perfect to make ahead for lunch.  
It would be really great in a lunch box!

No comments: