Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Homestyle Macaroni and Cheese

Homestyle Macaroni and Cheese
8 servings

1 ½ cups macaroni noodles
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup milk
8 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated

Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain, pour into a casserole dish and set aside. Melt butter in skillet. Stir in flour, salt and pepper; whisk until smooth. Add milk gradually. Cook and whisk until thickened. Add the cheese, reserving a bit to put on the top. Stir until cheese is melted. Pour cheese mixture over the macaroni and mix thoroughly. Top with extra cheddar cheese. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes, or until bubbly. Put macaroni under the broiler for just a minute to brown. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Sandra said...

YUM!

Kelli said...

I added this to my menu!
~Kelli

Anonymous said...

going on my grocery list

letterstoelijah said...

I pretty much make the same thing but I add half a can of cream of mushroom soup - makes it really rich. If you like it tangy.. add a little V8 - turns a bright orange.. yum!

Tina Butler said...

I can't wait to try this Macaroni and cheese recipe. I have been looking for one that does not have eggs in the recipe. I just pinned this to pinterest.