Friday, December 28, 2012

Spa Gifts from the Kitchen


I tried my hand at making some simple homemade beauty products to give as Christmas gifts this year to friends and family.
It was lots of fun!


I made 
Gingerbread Sugar Scrub
Peppermint Bath Salts
and 
Sugarplum Hand Cream


For the hand cream I combined -

8 ounces of vitamin E cream
8 ounces of petroleum jelly
16 ounces of Johnson's vanilla oatmeal baby lotion
1 drop of red food coloring
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix all ingredients in a mixer until combined.
Fill 4 ounce jars.

Recipe makes eight 4 ounce jars of lotion.


For the sugar scrub I used the same recipe that a coworker used -

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons ginger
2 teaspoons nutmeg
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
4 drops vanilla extract
1 cup grape seed oil 

Combine all ingredients except the oil.
And oil and blend thoroughly.
Fill 4 ounce jars.

Recipe makes four 4 ounce jars of scrub.


For the bath salts I combined -

a 5 pound bag of epsom salts
1 tablespoon peppermint extract
1 tablespoon of red food coloring

Combine all ingredients until well blended.
Let salt sit for 24 hours to dry thoroughly.
Fill 8 ounce jars.

Recipe makes twelve 8 ounce jars of salts.

3 comments:

Lover of Sangria and Sunsets (yes, together) said...

Thanks for the shout-out! Also, I'll be using the Peppermint Bath Salt recipe next year for sure since I have committed to an all handmade Christmas.

Lisa Lynn said...

These all look so wonderful! I would love to have you share this on Wildcrafting Wednesdays! Please stop by and vote for your favorite post on our People's Choice Awards at:http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2012/12/peoples-choice-award-for-wildcrafting-wednesday.html

Farmgirl Heidi said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipes and I love the way your packaged them all. Beautiful!